Public utilities made an appearance in Littlestown with electricity going into service in 1897. Columbia Gas acquired an oil line which crossed Pennsylvania in 1930 for the purpose of transporting natural gas. Gas was piped into the borough in 1933. Public water was discussed and a Water Works approved by Borough Council in 1895. The first borough water system was authorized from 1895 to 1932. The present water supply was supplemented with the purchase of the William V. Sneeringer property quarry in 1954. The Borough’s sewer system was built under the WPA (Works Progress Administration) in 1941, with the completion of the sewage disposal plant in 1948. The first Post Office was established on April 1, 1795. Rural mail service started in 1903. Apparently, the first telephone service came to Littlestown in 1892 through the Adams County Telephone Company and the final switchboard operator was phased out in 1961.
Littlestown grew steadily with a population of 250 in 1800. Twenty years later, the population had reached 305. In 1850, it was 394 and by 1870 had reached 847. The 1880 census listed 913 residents. The 1886 census showed 298 taxpayers, 75 horses, 18 cows, 53 pleasure carriages, and 27 gold watches.
Church going has been a way of life for many in Littlestown over the years. St. John’s Lutheran Church was established in 1763, St. Aloysius Catholic Church in 1790, the United Brethren Church in 1822, the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1828, Redeemers United Church of Christ in 1859, and St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1863-66.
Littlestown has grown from a stagecoach stop on the road from Baltimore to Pittsburgh to a thriving community with urban and rural problems. Many industries have prospered in the past while those remaining, the Littlestown Foundry, Masterbrand, Hadco and several horse farms continue to thrive.