Frequently Asked Questions
‚Äč1.Who is a veteran?
Anyone who has been given a valid discharge upon separation from active duty military service may be considered a veteran. Prior to about 1950 discharges were issued by the respective military branch of service. In approximately 1950, the Department of Defense standardized the discharge certificate and established the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty.

2.How do I know if I am eligible for veterans' benefits?
Eligibility for most benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions. We can assist you in determining eligibility requirements for specific benefits. Contact us at 717.337.9835.

3.What is active military service?
Active military service means full-time service, other than active duty for training, as a member of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, or as a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service, Environmental Science Services Administration or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or it predecessor, the Coast and Geodetic Survey.

4.What if I don't know where my discharge certificate (DD-214) is?
You can check with your County Recorder of Deeds Office to determine if you recorded it with them. We can assist you in obtaining a copy or you can request a copy via the internet.

5.If my spouse dies before me can he/she be buried in a Veteran's Cemetery?
Yes, the spouse of a veteran may be buried in a Veteran's Cemetery. A veteran's child may be buried in a Veteran's Cemetery. Special children even beyond age 18 may be, under certain circumstances buried in a Veteran's Cemetery.

6.How long after discharge can I wait before using my Education Benefits?
Generally, for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits you have 15 years from separation to use your benefits. Other education programs such as the Montgomery GI Bill require benefits be used within 10 years of separation. Veterans are encouraged to start using their education benefits as soon after discharge as possible.

7.How do I obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for a VA Home Loan Guaranty?
Complete VA Form 26-1880, Request for a Certificate of Eligibility and mail it to: VA Eligibility Center, P.O. Box 20729, Winston-Salem, NC 27120. Be sure to include a copy of your DD Form 214 for all periods of active service.  Or Call 877.827.3702

8.Should I seek the assistance of an accredited Veterans Service Officer (VSO) and why?
Yes. Accredited VSOs are required to pass an examination from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) demonstrating knowledge of the wide array of veteran benefits. Additionally, they are required to take annual continuing education training to maintain their accreditation and pass an examination very 5 years for reaccreditation. Additionally, VSOs are knowledgeable of State and County benefits. Their services are free and they do not make a profit from other activities in advising veterans. Your Adams County Director of Veterans Affairs is an accredited VSO.

9.How do I find an accredited Veterans Service Officer (VSO)?
The Adams County Director of Veterans Affairs is accredited as an VSOs and can be reached at 717.337.9835