How Do I?
 How are interstate support cases handled?

Interstate refers to support cases in which the parties involved reside in different states. Cases may begin as an interstate case or turn into one at any time during the case process. Our office will work with other states to establish, modify, or enforce your support order.


 How are support orders enforced?

There is a variety of actions a DRS or Court may take if a person does not pay his or her support obligation. They include: income withholding contempt of court proceedings credit bureau reporting Federal and State Tax Refund Offset Programs license suspension freeze and seize of financial assets.

 How do I apply for support?

A complaint for support must be filed through the Domestic Relations Section (DRS) by making an appointment or filing through E-Services at  You may file it yourself by scheduling an appointment with one of our Case Managment Officers or your attorney may file on your behalf.  DRS will schedule a conference and notify the parties of the date and time.  Both parties are required to appear.


 What is paternity?

In Pennsylvania, when a child is born to a woman who is unmarried, there is no legal relationship between the father and the child. A father of a child born to an unmarried woman is not the father for legal purposes unless a Domestic Relations Section or Court has entered an order that establishes the legal father of the child or both parents have signed an Acknowledgment of Paternity form. Under current Pennsylvania law, when a child is born to a married woman, the husband is the presumed legal father of the child.


 Who pays support?

The following individuals have liability for support: Parents for the support of their children who are not emancipated and 18 years of age or younger. Parents may be liable for support of their children who are 18 years of age or older. Married persons are liable for the support of each other according to their respective abilities to provide support as provided by law.