You can help find and prevent fraud and fiscal waste in county government.Fraud and fiscal waste are crimes everyone pays for and can result in:
- Increased taxes
- Decreased employee benefits
- Tighter department budgets
- Fewer services for taxpayers
Fraud is more likely to be detected by a tip than by other means, and governments that maintain hotlines see both fewer losses and a reduction in the duration of a fraud as compared to governments without hotlines.
If you have a concern regarding:
- Suspected theft or misuse of Adams County property or cash or services;
- False reporting of hours worked;
- Submission of illegitimate vendor invoices;
- Misrepresentation of expense reimbursements;
- Tax collection issues;
- Fraudulent reporting of medical, disability or workers compensation claims;
- Payment of improper gifts and gratuities;
- Violations of the County’s purchasing policy; or
- Other suspected fiscal irregularities,
Your tip may result in a cost-saving audit or investigation…but only if you report it to us.
If you are a public employee making a good faith effort to report an instance of wrongdoing via the Adams County Controller's Fraud Hotline, and you are discharged from, discriminated against or disciplined in your employment due to your whistle-blowing conduct, you may be afforded protection under the Pennsylvania Whistle-blower Law, 43 P.S. § 1421 et seq. Note that you may forfeit your protection under the Act, and compromise the investigation, if you disclose information to parties other than the Fraud Hotline unless such disclosure(s) is compelled pursuant to legal process. Court employees may not be entitled to whistleblower protections under Pennsylvania law.
Here's what we need you to report, to the extent you can:
- Department or function where the fraud or fiscal waste is occurring
- Person or persons involved
- Nature of the fraud or fiscal waste in as much detail as you can
- Date and/or duration
- Approximate dollar amount or value involved
- The names of witnesses who could help provide details
- Your name and contact information. You may submit a tip anonymously, but please understand that not being able to contact you for further information may hinder any investigation.
- Email at email@example.com. If you do not receive an email acknowledgement of your submission, please follow up with a call to the number below.
- Call (717) 337-5771 and leave a detailed message with the information listed above
- Mail your tip directly to:
Adams County Controller
111 Baltimore Street, Suite 3
Gettysburg, PA 17325
- Submit your tip electronically using our online form. To use this feature you must have Adobe Reader or Internet Explorer and an email application. Download the form to your computer, use Adobe Reader or Internet Explorer to fill it out, and click submit.
The Adams County Fraud Hotline exists to handle allegations involving theft or misuse of Adams County funds and services and should not be used for emergencies or other concerns.
Emergencies should be directed to 911 or Childline at 1-800-932-0313.
Non-emergency criminal matters should be referred directly to local law enforcement and, if drug related, to the Adams County Drug Task Force at 717-338-9591, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fraud at the federal, state, or municipal level should be addressed directly with that specific government entity.
Tips will be reviewed in and action taken in accordance with the Adams County Fraud Hotline Policy developed and published by the Office of Controller.