Anyone wishing to marry in Pennsylvania .
- Applicants may apply in any county within Pennsylvania and use the license in any County. Contact the county where you plan to apply for application requirements.
- Applicants should submit the application online. NOTE: Please do not apply online unless you are planning on marrying within 6 months.
- After applying online, BOTH applicants MUST APPEAR together in person to complete the marriage license application between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday except holidays. The 3 day waiting period does not start until you have appeared in the office to complete application.
- All applicants must be 18 years of age to obtain a marriage license without custodial parent's or legal guardian's consent. Applicants between 16 - 18 years of age must have a custodial parent present to consent to the marriage application. Consenting parent must have proper identification. Applicants under 16 years of age must have BOTH written Court approval AND written approval of the custodial parent.
- Applicants must have VALID identification which may be a driver's license, military or Penn DOT photo ID. Birth Certificates are required only when applicants have none of the above. ID must be in English or accompanied by a certified English translation.
- Applicants must provide a Social Security number (federal and state mandates for U.S. citizens). If you lost your card you must contact the Social Security office for WRITTEN verification.
- Be prepared to furnish the full name, mailing address (including city, state, zip), occupation, and birthplace of each parent.
- Previously married? Must provide CERTIFIED COPY of divorce/death certificate.
- Pennsylvania does not require premarital blood testing or physical examinations.
Online applications will only be held for 6 months from the date you apply.
WHEN TO APPLY
Application must be made within 60 days of the wedding date. Marriage license are valid for 60 days from the date of issuance and may be used anywhere in PA. PA law requires a minimum 3 day waiting period after application is made before a license can be issued.
WHO MAY NOT MARRY? Persons related by blood as first cousins or closer may not marry in PA. Other prohibitions and policies are available in the Clerk of Courts office. [Read More]