​A petition for guardianship of a minor is filed in Orphans' Court. A hearing date is assigned. If the petition is granted a final decree is signed and a guardian is appointed by the Judge. In cases where the minor is awarded money, the minor must have a guardian appointed by the Court to ensure proper handling of the minor's estate.

Filing the Petition

  • The original and two copies of the petition shall be filed in the Clerk of Courts Office along with the filing fee​
  • The Clerk of Courts office will assign a docket number and forward document to the Orphans' Court Judge.  
  • An Order of Court will be filed in the Clerk of Courts office. A copy will be forwarded to the Petitioner for service.  
  • Hearing date and times will be scheduled by the Court.