In Pennsylvania an abused child is one who is under 18 years of age and a victim of an act or failure to act by a perpetrator causing serious non accidental bodily or mental injury, and/or serious physical neglect, or sexual abuse, or exploitation; impairing or endangering the child’s development, functioning, and wellbeing. A perpetrator is defined as a person who is the child’s parent, the parent’s spouse, ex-spouse, paramour, or ex paramour, a person 14 years or older responsible for the child’s welfare, an individual 18 years of age and older responsible for the child’s welfare, or residing in the same home as the child, or is related within the third degree of consanguinity.
You only need to have reasonable cause to believe a child coming before you is an abused child to be required to report the alleged abuse. You do not need to know or have proof that the abuse took place.
A Mandated Reporter must make an immediate report of suspected abuse to ChildLine by either electronically reporting at : www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis
or by Calling 1-800-932-0313
Mandated Reporters required to report reasonable cause to suspect child abuse include but are limited to the following:
- An unpaid or paid individual directly responsible for the care, supervision, guidance, or training with an agency, institution, organization, school, regularly established church or religious organization or other entity that is directly responsible
- A person licensed or certified to practice in any health – related field under the Jurisdiction of the Department of State
- School employees
- A child- service providers with direct contact and supervision of children
- Social Service Workers
- Mental Health Professionals
- Counselors, Psychologists, Psychiatrists
- Hospital and Medical Staff
- Law Enforcement Personnel
The privileged communication between a mandated reporter and a client / patient shall not apply to a situation involving child abuse or relieve the mandated reporter of the duty to report suspected child abuse.How do I Report Child Abuse?
- Call the 24-hour, toll-free Child Abuse Hotline (Child Line) at 1-800-932-0313
- Report Child Abuse or Neglect call 1-800-932-0313 or Call Emergency Services at 911
- Electronically Reporting www.KeepKidsSafe.PA.gov