The Adams County Agricultural Land Preservation Board (Board) was established by the Adams County Board of Commissioners on January 10, 1990, pursuant to authority granted by Pennsylvania Act 43 of 1981 (7 Pa. Code Section 138.1) as amended, and by Act 149 of 1988 (3 PS Section 901 et. seq). The purpose of the Board is to administer the Agricultural Conservation Easement Program for Adams County. To that end, the Board will act so as to:
1. Protect viable agricultural lands by acquiring agricultural conservation easements, which prevent the development or improvement of the land for any purpose other than agricultural production.
2. Encourage landowners to make a long-term commitment to agriculture by offering them financial incentives and security of land use.
3. Provide compensation to landowners in exchange for their relinquishment of the right to develop their private property.
4. Protect normal farming operations in agricultural security areas from incompatible Non-farm and uses that may render farming impracticable.
5. Protect farming operations from complaints of public nuisance against normal farming operations.
6. Assure conservation of viable agricultural lands in order to protect the agricultural economy of this Commonwealth.
7. Maximize agricultural easement purchase funds that protect the investment of taxpayers in agricultural conservation easements.
8. Concentrate resources in a manner that will ensure the purchase of easements for the protection of the largest amount of farmland possible.
9. Execute all agreements of other documents necessary to effect the purchase of such agricultural conservation easements in the name of Adams County and/or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Money for this program is allocated from both the county and the state, with some monies from the federal level. With our current funding, the Adams County program is capable of preserving approximately 800 acres of farmland each year.
Townships with Agricultural Land Preservation Programs
Mt. Joy Township
Adams County Agricultural Land Preservation Board
Timothy Brown, Chairman
Jack Freet, Vice-Chairman
Thomas Clowney, Farmer Member
Robert Crouthamel, Contractor Member
Eddie Diveley, Farmer Member
Deborah Kammerer, Citizen Member
Wayne Smith, Citizen Member
George Taughinbaugh, Citizen Member
Craig Yingling, Farmer Member
County of AdamsAg. Land Preservation670 Old Harrisburg Rd., Suite 100Gettysburg, PA 17325
| Privacy StatementCopyright 2011 by County of Adams
DNN Skins created with Artisteer.